Immediately after the end of the Finnish/German-Soviet War of 1941-1944 the Soviet Union imposed, that the areas west of Helsinki, around Kirkkonummi, Porkkalanniemi, Upinniemi and the fortress island of Mäkiluoto, were to be emptied of all population and leased to the USSR for 50 years, for the purpose of establishing a Soviet naval base. Finland had no choice but to agree, despite the obvious threat to Helsinki. The base became known as Porkkala Udd in the USSR.
Between 2022 and 2026 the remains of the Cold War structures of the former Soviet Naval Base are excavated, documented and mapped by the "Porkkala 1944-1956" modern conflict archaeology project. This weekend the work was concentrated to a tank crew training area in Kirkkonummi.
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.