Thursday 2 November 2017

Exciting community archaeology dig near Helsinki City Centre in 2018!

Fantastic news! It now seems almost certain that me and Janne Soisalo will conduct a community archaeology excavation of a neolithic stone age dwelling site in Helsinki (Pitäjänmäki) next summer (probably in May/June). 

Excavating a trial trench on the site (2004)

I have excavated this site previously in 1999-2004 and I can tell you it´s a very intersting place with a multitude of very interesting finds. The dig is part of my upcoming scientific article on community archaeology in the larger Helsinki area 1990-2017. 

Excavating the site in 2004.

The site is very close to Helsinki City Centre and easily accessible by both train and bus.
To make it possible for as many people as possible to participate, the excavation will take place on both weekdays and a weekend. No previous knowledge of archaeology is required.


Boxed potsherds from the 2014 excavation.

If you wish like to participate please email me at jfarchaeology@gmail.com or send me a message on FB.

Happy participants in 2004 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.